Many firms see the need, once in a while, to stand back from the hurly burly and take stock of where they are and where they are heading. A facilitated retreat may be just what the firm is looking for, generally best held away from the distractions of the office. Why facilitated? Simple: a fresh voice around the table and business-like chairing, allowing the firm’s leaders to participate with others in an open discussion.
The key to a successful retreat or away day I find is preparation. I take the time to gain a clear understanding of the firm as it is, and what those attending hope to achieve from the event. My pre-retreat work will include some or all of the following:
- An in-depth conversation with the Managing Partner and others in the leadership team;
- Help planning the retreat or away day;
- Interviews with all those attending (in small firms) or a cross-section (if more than ten or so);
- Circulating a list of non-attributable issues raised in the course or preparation;
- Facilitating the retreat or away day, thereby freeing up the Managing Partner to contribute fully;
- Providing a note of agreed outcomes and action points
The outcome will of course very from firm to firm and time to time, but should at a minimum help strengthen the firm’s resolve around its strategy going forward.
If you would like to discuss how I can help you and your firm, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 07753 605236.